Home » Inspiration, Sewing Patterns, Vintage

I Went Banana’s on E-bay and Won Diane Von Furstenberg’s Vintage Wrap Dress Pattern for my Birthday….Yes, Vogue 1549!!! (The One With the Cuffs and Collar :)

22 July 2010 16 Comments

I am extremely excited that I won the auction last night and my Diane Von Furstenberg classic wrap dress vintage pattern (circa 1973) is on its way! I love wrap dresses and have had my eye on this pattern for a long time, so I was super excited to find it in my size and in uncut condition just in time for my birthday. Whoo hoo! I’m not sure who was bidding against me, but I’m really sorry you wasted your time because this pattern was destined to be MINE MINE MINE and once I started bidding, it was a wrap (pun intended :-). I can’t wait until it arrives! Side note: It will be delivered to a secure mailbox at an undisclosed location, so don’t even think about trying to snatch it out of my mailbox before I get my hands on it!

This pattern typically sells for approximately $125 and I am somewhat ashamed to share how much I paid for it:

Of course I am aware that I can buy patterns for $.99 at Hancock Fabrics, but did I mention that this is a rare and sought-after vintage DVF pattern? And considering the retail price of DVF’s ready to wear dresses, I’m sure that the many fabulous dresses I’m planning to sew will make it worth the investment because this wrap dress will never go out of style (and I can select my own fabric :). Besides, it’s my birthday and I don’t have to justify my purchase to anyone besides myself! (and I think I’m almost convinced that this was a great impulse buy). I am envisioning several versions of this dress in various colors and prints. I want to make one in a slinky leopard print and I think I will hem this pattern to above the knees.

This win made me feel a LOT better about my recent $1.00 Ebay loss (grrr….I am still kicking myself for not entering my maximum bid in time and letting these extremely rare vintage Japanese pattern making books slip through my fingers):

Anyway, this fabulous pattern completes my DVF wrap-dress collection. I recently snatched up the short-sleeved version for $13.99 + shipping, which is a HUGE bargain since it typically sells for $95 and up! So to make myself feel better about spending $137.50 on a sewing pattern, I prefer to focus on the fact that I purchased two DVF vintage patterns in my size for $156.99 or $78.49 per pattern, which is actually a good price :-). Yippee! Okay, now I’m convinced that I made a good choice. By the way, I’m still missing one of the instruction pages, so please contact me if you have this pattern!

There’s also another rare DVF wrap dress pattern (Vogue 1548) that I don’t have, but it looks very similar to the one I purchased on Ebay. The only noticeable difference is the missing collar and cuffs, which can easily be omitted from Vogue 1549 without spending another $125:

I also purchased the Simplicity 7705 Jiffy DVF knock-off vintage pattern recently. I bought it because I had given up hope on finding the DVF pattern (I’m too ashamed to admit how much I paid for it, but it’s actually less than a $55 listing I recently came across). I’m looking forward to comparing the instructions and pattern pieces from both patterns to see if they are exact replicas (yes, I am a hard core sewing nerd researcher by day and my need to investigate carries over into my sewing :).  I’ll will publish the results of my investigation when I write my sewing pattern review. I already purchased a pretty eggplant jersey fabric for this dress, so hopefully the DVF pattern requires the same amount of fabric (or less). BTW, I’ll probably end up selling this pattern to recoup my investment now that I have the real thing :).

Has anyone reading this besides me ever spent more than $100 on a sewing pattern? Or do I need to check myself into the Diane Von Furstenberg Clinic for Vintage Sewing Pattern Addicts?

Related posts:

My Latest Fabric from Gail K
New McCall's Summer Patterns
Sexy 1960's Vintage Bombshell Dress Pattern (McCall's 6998)

16 Comments »

• Tiffany said:

I am so happy that you were able to secure this pattern. It is your birthday and

you should apologize to no one for your gift to yourself. You deserve it so enjoy!!!!

• Carla (author) said:

Thanks, Tiffanylicious! I’m sure you’re glad that you won’t have to hear me obsess over finding this pattern anymore :)

• Bibah said:

It is a gorgeous pattern. Can’t wait to see the beautiful dresses that are yet to come.

BTW, love the new site. The header is AWESOME. Bright and full of energy yet sophisticated.

• Carla (author) said:

Thanks, Bibah! I would normally wait until the fall to make something long sleeved but I may have to make an exception. Thanks for your feedback on the site. I had envisioned something completely different for the header/logo, but I ended up making something that looked like something I would have airbrushed, so I think it captures my personality. I’m glad you like it :)

• Eileen said:

I’m happy for your win and a little embarrassed to tell you I actually bid against you (but only 1 time). I have the Von Furstenberg bug too! Just keep looking and eventually you will get them. I recently purchased Vogue 1548 for $4.99 on Ebay, but spent 34.00 on Vogue 2517 (the wrap dress with sectioned bodice). Good luck in your search!

• Carla (author) said:

@ Eileen: LOLOLOLOL! I’m so sorry for gloating about my win. I’m going to send you an email with a link to where I recently saw this pattern. It’s fabulous that you found the pattern for $4.99. OMG. I would have been so excited!!

• Chris said:

wow. I can’t believe it, I also have this dress pattern and it’s on my blog! I’m curious, did you say you actually paid $55 for this pattern? I got it for 50 cents at a thrift store! You should check them out, Ebay is great but you might have fun and save so much cash at the charity shops – also you never know when you might find cool embelishments or fabric x

• Carla (author) said:

No, I paid $137. This pattern is extremely popular and people go nuts over it and pay upwards of $100 for it. You were very lucky to find it for 50 cents!

• Chris said:

I can’t wait to tell my friend Lou, she was with me when I found it — there was a stack of like literally hundreds of patterns and were all from 25 to 30 cents each —- I bought loads! I’ll share more with youx

• Chris said:

i mean 25 to 50 cents ;)

• Carla (author) said:

You should research the value of your patterns and set up a store on Etsy. I think great patterns flock together because the person who donated them probably had good taste and bought other great patterns. I bought about 50 patterns at a thrift store a couple of months ago, but only a handful (from the 40′s) are valuable. The rest were hideous so I left them in the store.

• Carla (author) said:

oh — let me clarify! I saw the Jiffy pattern listed above for $55, not the original Vogue DVF pattern (I responded to your comment from my phone and forgot that I posted the Jiffy pattern). I paid $137 for the Vogue 1549 pattern NOT the Simplicity Jiffy pattern. I think the most you might be able to get for that one is $40 if you are lucky enough to find someone like me whose obsessed with vintage wrap dresses. But I’ve typically seen that one listed for $5-$15. I’ve also seen it once for $29 and another time for $39 (overpriced).

• CallMeSu said:

And here I thought I was the only one up at obscene hours of the night bidding on vintage sewing patterns on Ebay! You really hit the jackpot with this DVM classic. I can’t wait to see it materialize! hahaha

• Carla (author) said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one :). I can’t wait to see it materialize, too…lol. I just realized that I’ve had it for almost a year and I haven’t even removed it from the envelope!

• Vivienne said:

Carla
    I came across this web site while searching for the DVF wrap dress. I actually made several from this pattern during the seventies. Unfortunately I did not hang on to the pattern. I was a young mother, just had my third child at the time and it was/is THE most flattering style for the female figure. Now that my daughter has young children I want to make the dress for her. I was interested to note the significant difference is the sizing between the 70s and now. Anyway, I just thought I’d pass my thoughts along; I know you will love the dress, in fact considering the date of your post you probably have several by now.

• Carla (author) said:

Hi Vivienne, I’m sad to say that I haven’t had much time for sewing, so I haven’t made this dress yet! However, I just purchased another DVF wrap dress pattern in August (Vogue #1548). I’ll get around to it when the weather is more appropriate for long sleeves. Fortunately, this dress is timeless and I’ll be keeping it in my collection for awhile, so there’s no rush :)

Leave your reply!

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment. I appreciate your feedback and suggestions...

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: